[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Fri Jul 5 10:38:23 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 13:27, Ron Guerin wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 13:21, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> > Now, if a certain company, individual or what-have-you wants to get off
> > the list because they think that their spam don't stink, they are
> > certainly welcome to plead the case, but the user who submitted and the
> > user who used the filters are quite happy with the arrangement that the
> > list now accurately reflects yet another spam relay.
>
> If you sign yourself up to a mailing list, you've given permission to
> them to send you that spam.  Reporting them to SpamCop is wrong.  If you
> don't like what you get from a mailing list, unsubscribe.

That's your take, and that's fine.

I might even agree with you on a personal level.

I'm not sure that that's an ethical metric that I feel comfortable
holding the net to. Reporting Spam is important, and I'd rather that I
(as the maintainer of several lists myself) be inconvenienced rather
than have the Spam go unreported. Remember that while I will have to
clean up my relationship with SpamCop, the original source of that mail
is ALSO being reported.