[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Fri Jul 5 10:21:07 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 12:14, Don Marti wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 08:48, M. Drew Streib wrote:
>
> > I host approximately 110 mailing lists, and was ignored despite several
> > emails attempting to become a special case.
>
> I refuse to waste time on anyone who sets up a system to lie about me.
> I don't care if this site is on spam blacklists or not.
>
> The same thing happens with censorware -- I get on some censorware
> company's list of bad sites (in one case, for Partial Nudity, Violence,
> and Gambling on burnallgifs.org) and some user tells me about it in the
> expectation that I'm supposed to contact the censorware company and
> plead my case.  Yeah, right.

Censorware and spam blacklists are very different things. SpamCop is
correct in this case (and that's why I use their DNS-based service for
my SpamAssassin rules). The debian lists were allowing spam. The users
(like me) of SpamCop's list are looking for information on who allows
spam to be relayed, and we get it.

Now, if a certain company, individual or what-have-you wants to get off
the list because they think that their spam don't stink, they are
certainly welcome to plead the case, but the user who submitted and the
user who used the filters are quite happy with the arrangement that the
list now accurately reflects yet another spam relay.