[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Ron Guerin ron@vnetworx.net
Fri Jul 5 10:10:36 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 12:40, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2002, Ron Guerin wrote:
> > UBE.  When I have time, I enter their IP blocks into my firewall so they
> > can't even see my systems.
>
> I disagree. You're violating the basic assumption of the global network:
> that it is global. As soon as you start building walls and dig trenches,
> pull razorwire and lay mines the entire network and its users lose.

I'd disagree with me too, if I hadn't informed my users of the policy
and offered them a server "unencumbered" by any of those measures.  No
one wanted such a service.  I do feel a responsibility to the global
network, however I feel I'm fulfilling it by isolating pariahs such as
Postmaster General, Colonize, Topica, and their peers.  My first
responsibility has to be to me and my users regardless.  I do understand
where you're coming from, but I have to do what I think is right in my
corner of the 'net.  I should add that my users wishes take priority
over my own about blocking.  If anyone were ever to want something
unblocked, I would unblock it.

The bigger threat to the global network is the corporate proxy.  I know
of a few places where Internet access is limited to a specific list of
approved domains.  Those lists are short indeed.

> > have already won, and I have lost.  The fact that you as a user might
> > have to look at it is trivial compared to what hits my public mail
> > server.
>
> Your users don't pay for your bandwidth?

They don't directly pay for mail bandwidth.  It'll be a sad day if it
ever comes down to that.  Especially since they'd be mighty pissed off
about that.  If they _were_ paying for it, they'd be even less tolerant
of it than they are now.  Occasionally a little squeaks through for one
reason or another, generating complaints of "Can't you do something
about this penis enlargement mail?!"  My users think I'm not doing
enough.

Ron