[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Fri Jul 5 09:40:41 PDT 2002

On 5 Jul 2002, Ron Guerin wrote:

> I _do_ mind spam.  Very much.  Spammers should be lined up and shot on
> the evening news for the children to see what happens to those who send

I agree. Suing them, fining them, locking them up, whatever it takes.

> UBE.  When I have time, I enter their IP blocks into my firewall so they
> can't even see my systems.

I disagree. You're violating the basic assumption of the global network:
that it is global. As soon as you start building walls and dig trenches,
pull razorwire and lay mines the entire network and its users lose.
Instead of blocking things at transport protocol layer you can reduce the
bandwidth requirements, or associate delivery with cost (hashcash). Agoric
load levelling (which we unfortunately don't have at the protocol layer)
and pattern recognition, flagging and sorting of spam and response
challenge can completely kill the spam problem.

> Sorting spam into folders protects you, but does nothing to help my
> spam problem.  As an ISP, if the spam gets delivered, the terrorists

There are efforts to put the queue at the sender end, and only transfer
when the message gets accepted.

> have already won, and I have lost.  The fact that you as a user might
> have to look at it is trivial compared to what hits my public mail
> server.

Your users don't pay for your bandwidth?

> I don't know what cgi-bin script list you got listed on, but I use one
> of those, and no one's on there that didn't earn their way on. Only

It's a large host. Some of the users use a cgi-bin script that can be
hijacked as spammers, as the result the entire domain gets blacklisted.