[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Ron Guerin ron@vnetworx.net
Fri Jul 5 09:05:44 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 11:39, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2002, Aaron Sherman wrote:
>
> > There really isn't any other way to do this reasonably without letting
> > spammers have a loop-hole the size of Dallas. It's too easy to make an
> > open relay look like a "mailing list" and visa versa.
>
> Without reputation based ranking this is useless. I don't mind spam:

I _do_ mind spam.  Very much.  Spammers should be lined up and shot on
the evening news for the children to see what happens to those who send
UBE.  When I have time, I enter their IP blocks into my firewall so they
can't even see my systems.

> SpamAssassin catches most of it, and sorts it into the spam folder.
> Bouncing blackholed stuff is intrinsically evil: my host has been
> blackholed by some zealots because of some hijackable cgi-bin scripts.

Sorting spam into folders protects you, but does nothing to help my spam
problem.  As an ISP, if the spam gets delivered, the terrorists have
already won, and I have lost.  The fact that you as a user might have to
look at it is trivial compared to what hits my public mail server.

I don't know what cgi-bin script list you got listed on, but I use one
of those, and no one's on there that didn't earn their way on. Only
people whose scripts have _already_ been used as an open relay are on
it.  There can be a lag between the event and the listing, as the
operator doesn't process the contents of his spamtraps on any kind of
schedule.
http://www.monkeys.com/anti-spam/filtering/formmail.html

Ron