[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Fri Jul 5 08:25:27 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 08:01, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Okay, so, I agree that SpamCop and its users are boneheads, *but* the

I'm not convinced. SpamCop does an awesome job of tracking down spam
sources, and users *should* be submitting spam that they get.

I think that if you host a public list, and let spam through, you should
be prepared to a) be hated by SpamCop and those that listen to them or
b) explain the situation to the SpamCop admins and get them to make a
special case (there are at least thousands of these, and the procedure
is pretty standard for becoming "special").

There really isn't any other way to do this reasonably without letting
spammers have a loop-hole the size of Dallas. It's too easy to make an
open relay look like a "mailing list" and visa versa.