[linux-elitists] Haha, SpamCop lists Debian

Ron Guerin ron@vnetworx.net
Wed Jul 3 14:20:51 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 16:50, M. Drew Streib wrote:
> I'm convinced that you can't run any mailing lists of any kind and not
> eventually get blocked by SpamCop.

I actually use the SpamCop list (*ducks*), under heavy supervision.  The
heavy supervision is just my neurotic ex-Wall St. admin tendencies, not
something I do because I use SpamCop's list.

My experience with it from this side of things is that about half of the
mailing lists the users of my systems are on have been blocked at some
point.  Everything on my whitelist is either a mailing list blocked by
SpamCop, or a LUG running an open relay (which seems to be a common
problem).  Of those blocked lists, nearly all were poorly configured,
allowing non-subscribers to post.

I continue to use it though, in combination with a few open relay lists,
because while it is the most inaccurate DNS-based list I've seen, it's
also the most effective; spam is pretty much a distant memory for me
now.  The inaccuracies all seem to be mailing lists, and it doesn't
really require any extra effort on my part to compensate for that.  YMMV

Anyone who uses the SpamCop list unmonitored however, is nuts.

Ron