[linux-elitists] Hey Don!

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Jul 1 12:13:04 PDT 2002

begin Nick Moffitt quotation of Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 03:00:56PM -0700:

> 	I humbly present for your perusal:
>
> 		http://powells.com
>
> 	largest indie bookstore in the Yoo-nited states of murrika.
> One of my most favorite buy-braries in the Pacific NorthWest.

One more point in their favor: they run a GPL database:
http://www.mysql.com/articles/us/powellbooks.html

I have the gut feeling that I'd rather support a company that
runs Apache and MySQL on legacy Solaris than a company that runs
Oracle on GNU/Linux.  Somehow I think this is a reflection of a
quick-and-dirty  estimate of how many person-hours of conversion
work they are away from running all-Free infrastructure -- not just
"Larry Ellison is a fascist".

The only reason I haven't joined the Powell's "partner program" is
that I don't the tax/privacy hassle.  I'll ask them if they'll let me
donate to a non-profit organization.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                       Help spread accurate information