[linux-elitists] Re: MPAA fighting "terrorist war"

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Sun Jan 20 05:18:11 PST 2002

On 2002.01.19 23:24:27 -0500 Karsten M. Self wrote:
>>on Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:29:48PM -0500, Kevin Dames (kmd32@law.georgetown.edu) wrote:
>>> (This is being sent to multiple lists; please forgive duplication.)
>>> Folks:
>>
>>> "We're fighting our own terrorist war," was how The New York Times
>>> quoted MPAA president Jack Valenti in an article published today about
>>> how digital copies of video, film and television programs (including
>>> the movie "Black Hawk Down") are being traded across the Web.

Jack Valenti is not the first one to cross this line in calling the sharing of
infomoration a terrorist act.  Judy PLank of AAP did it earlier, calling Librarians
Wacko like terrorists.

One the other hand, it seems that CSS didn't stop that Queens Warehouse from
duplicating thousands of DVD's this month.  Seems that digitally copying the
disks, even when they have CSS, works JUST FINE, despite the testimony by Jack
"the Knife" Valenenti

Why doesn't Amy ever interview New Yorkers for Fair Use for a counter to this
dribble.

Maybe I will CC her and find out!

Ruben
--