[linux-elitists] Re: MPAA fighting "terrorist war"

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 19 20:24:27 PST 2002

on Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 01:29:48PM -0500, Kevin Dames (kmd32@law.georgetown.edu) wrote:
> (This is being sent to multiple lists; please forgive duplication.)
> Folks:

> "We're fighting our own terrorist war," was how The New York Times
> quoted MPAA president Jack Valenti in an article published today about
> how digital copies of video, film and television programs (including
> the movie "Black Hawk Down") are being traded across the Web. The
> article focuses on the Morpheus service, which both the MPAA and RIAA
> have sued on copyright infringement grounds.  Just as an personal
> aside, clearly these media types have no shame. To even think of
> comparing possible (and we are talking about possible) copyright
> infringement or even piracy with terrorism is, in my view, overblown,
> tasteless and inexcusable.

> Amy Harmon. "Black Hawk Down: Pirated Videos Thrive Online." The New York
> Times. Jan. 17, 2001. Online at: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/17/technology/
> circuits/17VIDE.html

In related events, I've had contact from the press due to a piece I've
got out over the hypocrisy of the "software piracy" debate, indicating
Microsoft is now claiming that unauthorized software production is now
funding terrorism.

...does this mean we should ban the building trades in NYC for mob
involvment?

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org