[linux-elitists] point of order, Ogg Vorbis rules...and an experiment

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Wed Jan 16 21:24:29 PST 2002

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 07:45:03PM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> Blind listening tests for Ogg Vorbis vs. parasitic patent-mongers:
> http://ff123.net/128test/interim.html

I tried to participate in those tests, but I couldn't tell the
differences between any of the codecs.

I'd personally be more interested in comparisons between -q5
(~160kbps) vorbis and 192kbps-256kbps CBR true-stereo LAME mp3 output.
These are generally the formats that I have to chose between when
deciding whether to listen to my own rip of something or a ripping
group's. According to http://users.belgacom.net/gc247244/quality.htm,
256kbps mp3 sounds pretty damn good. However, the ripping groups tend
to have stupid policies like CBR and unjoint-stereo. (Apparently VBR
and joint-stereo are the right options to use with LAME).

It would be cool to convince the ripping groups to start ripping to
Ogg Vorbis, but I don't think it will happen any time soon. They use
DOS format text with IBM codepage linedrawings, CRC32 instead of MD5
for integrity checking, and are typically windows wankers who can't
spell track names correctly. I won't be holding my breath.