[linux-elitists] point of order, Ogg Vorbis rules...and an experiment

Rick Bradley roundeye@roundeye.net
Wed Jan 16 20:10:32 PST 2002

* Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) [020116 21:48]:
>   But munging addresses is like putting steel shutters over shop
>   windows -- it makes the place seem unfriendly, discourages traffic,
>   and ultimately leads to more abuse, even if it protects one window
>   from one vandal.
>
>   Please deal with network abuse, don't hide from it.
>
> The list of subscribers is confidential; posters' names and email
> addresses show up on the web.  I'm willing to take a look at
> modifying archives in special cases, but they are archives after all.

I tend to agree with the sentiment re: list archives and spammers (and
consequently have a fairly streamlined tracking and reporting regimen).
I did, however, recently help out with bringing a LUG list archive
(http://www.nlug.org/mail/) public recently.  They'd had a hidden list
archive [hypermail] for a couple years and there were a number of people
who didn't want their email addresses exposed on a public archive, but
there was a lot of clamoring for making the archives public.  They
finally reached a consensus and decided that replacing the addresses
with images was fine so I helped one of their officers implement it.

I felt bringing a large collection of good Linux technical (and social)
information to the web for the first time outweighed the usual
reservations about address munging.

If anyone's stuck in a similar situation (doubtful, but hey), they'll be
posting the second part (of two) of the how-to article (with free code)
on the site sometime next week.

Rick
--
 Mostly useless pseudo-random number: 936    (66 F)
 http://www.roundeye.net