[linux-elitists] point of order, Ogg Vorbis rules...and an experiment

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Wed Jan 16 20:02:24 PST 2002

Don Marti writes:

> Dan Gillmor on the "Google effect"
> http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/dgillmor/dg011301.htm
> inspires the question:
> Can you make an unofficial page _about_ a company come up higher
> in Google than the company's home page?
> Maybe if the company is a bunch of anti-net buttheads who don't
> even understand HTTP redirects, and the unofficial page has a decent
> amount of Google juice, you have a chance.
> burnallgifs.org is already on the first page of Google results for
> a search on Unisys.  How far up can it go?  Anyone else curious?
> Will Google Management intervene to protect their fellow software
> patenteers?  See new sig.

You might want to add some more META tags to the burnallgifs site --
some search engines rely on them (though Google less than others, if
at all).

I have taken your suggestion and mentioned Unisys in links to
burnallgifs.org, although I'm wary of the trend toward things which
can undermine the reliability and accuracy of Google.

Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk
     http://vitanuova.loyalty.org/     |