[linux-elitists] point of order, Ogg Vorbis rules...and an experiment

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Wed Jan 16 20:02:24 PST 2002

Don Marti writes:

> Dan Gillmor on the "Google effect"
> http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/opinion/dgillmor/dg011301.htm
> inspires the question:
>
> Can you make an unofficial page _about_ a company come up higher
> in Google than the company's home page?
>
> Maybe if the company is a bunch of anti-net buttheads who don't
> even understand HTTP redirects, and the unofficial page has a decent
> amount of Google juice, you have a chance.
>
> burnallgifs.org is already on the first page of Google results for
> a search on Unisys.  How far up can it go?  Anyone else curious?
> Will Google Management intervene to protect their fellow software
> patenteers?  See new sig.

You might want to add some more META tags to the burnallgifs site --
some search engines rely on them (though Google less than others, if
at all).

I have taken your suggestion and mentioned Unisys in links to
burnallgifs.org, although I'm wary of the trend toward things which
can undermine the reliability and accuracy of Google.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk