[linux-elitists] bash completion

Sam Phillips sam@dasbistro.com
Mon Jan 14 17:38:11 PST 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 02:56:42PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:

> I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere before, but I saw it as I was
> browsing the weekly freshmeat listings.
>
> The most useful parts for me so far are the <TAB> completion for
> the hosts in your ~/.ssh/known_hosts file, and the <TAB> completion of
> the cd arguments.
>
> http://www.caliban.org/bash/index.shtml#completion

I've been wondering why there isn't some standard for binaries that
allows the shell to lookup in the program what the following completion
text might be.  Any one know why nothing like this exists?  I would
think something could be added to getopt or something to accomplish
this.

--
Sam Phillips <sam@dasbistro.com>                http://www.dasbistro.com
Reno                                                              Nevada