[linux-elitists] DOTGNU

Samantha Atkins samantha@objectent.com
Thu Jan 3 00:10:41 PST 2002

Ruben Safir wrote:

> No no
>
> the gnome people aren't on the same sheet of music and they're dependencies
> completey suck.  Their misuse of something-config config files make gnome
> impossible to compile without spending WEEKS taking a walk through dependency
> hell and I feel it's more and more like windows DLL hell every day.
>
> Autoconf, as used by them, never looks to see that's actual on the damn hard drive.
> Default ./config make, make install puts things where xiamen doesn't or where other
> packages expect them.  Even getter aspell to work is a complete disaster.
>
> I hate the way nothing on gnome compiles any more.
> It is so fustrating...........

I share the frustration, unfortunately, it applies to much in
Linux
world, especially updating KDE under RedHat.  Why can't really
effective tools be made that find all the missing relevant
pieces that aren't part of the distro of RH or KDE without my
having to scurry all over creation finding the pieces and the
pieces they demand until I quit in frustration and wait for the
newest distro that is as much or more up-to-date than what I was
trying to build?  I am very experienced and unusually patient
but I still find this situation a disgrace.  There has to be a
better way.

Anyone have one?

- samantha