[linux-elitists] Still GNOME, still not DOTGNU [Was: DOTGNU]

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Wed Jan 2 22:20:44 PST 2002

<quote who="Ruben Safir">

> The other thing is that the application developers should settle on a
> underlining library release accross the board.  And the libraries should
> be developed seperately.
>
> They are often both co-evolving (and different packages needing different
> libs in conflict!).

GNOME has not needed that kind of bureaucracy in the past; fast development
means keeping everyone on their feet with releases. However, the extent of
our platform is so great now that we're concentrating on larger, defined
components of our releases separately. They are described here:

  http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/modules/

This will make future releases (like the upcoming GNOME 2 Desktop release)
far, far easier to manage and QA.

- Jeff

--
    "GNOME, launched specifically to counter a threat to our freedom, is
       the free software project par excellence." - Richard Stallman