[linux-elitists] DOTGNU

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Wed Jan 2 22:06:55 PST 2002

>>But you haven't convinced me of the valuable time spent trying to
>>build complicated software in leiu of good packages made by people who spend
>>the time required to do it right (either they're paid, ala Red Hat, or
>>they're highly involved with the software themselves, ala Debian. Or both).

Truthfully, I would have less complaints if the distros DID do a better job, but they
don't.  Part of the reason for this, I beleive, is that the components aren't compiling
together well.   I was reading on google one thread of someone installing everything
by hand, and he had many of the same problems I was having (and that post was
6 months ealier).  First, the conf needs to look on the drive for the necessary libs rather
than just quizing often Orphan config scriptswhich feed bad inforation to the compiler.

The other thing is that the application developers should settle on a underlining library
release accross the board.  And the libraries should be developed seperately.

They are often both co-evolving (and different packages needing different libs in conflict!).

Ruben

>>> People need to understand Make and Autoconf well.
>>
>>That is definitely true.
>>
>>- Jeff
>>
>>--
>>                      Cette menace est très sérieuse.