[linux-elitists] DOTGNU

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Wed Jan 2 21:40:15 PST 2002

>>In your shoes, I'd be tempted to tell that that, if they don't like the
>>GNOME developers' work, they're very welcome to fork off a copy and hack
>>it up to suit.  And, who knows?  One in ten thousand might come up with
>>something worthwhile.

That's too bad.  Really.

This is not newbies asking these questions.  These are hard core users.
They are interested and they are tomorrows developers.  Often they
are TODAY'S developers.

If you want to download the latest version of a package and compile it
before the distro does, this should be capable of being done without
./configure telling you something doesn't exist on your system
which is clearly there.

I for one will never likely develop a gnome on my own.
I don't feel inferior or stupid because of this.  I make more
than my share of contributions to the world.

That's no reason I have to feel enslaved by my distro to
get the source to compile correctly.  The autoconf can
just work right.  It's part of good programming practice.

It's an important reason why I use free software.

Ruben

--

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting