[linux-elitists] DOTGNU

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 2 21:22:20 PST 2002

Quoting Jeff Waugh (jdub@perkypants.org):

> Tangent:
>
> I, personally, am sick to death of moronic Linux From Scratch users
> (no accusation as to what you're using or not) flaming and criticising
> our excellent hackers because of their own *abject lack of clue*.
>
> It gets to the point of asking these people to get a life and do
> something more productive with their time than sitting there building
> packages.  These are the kinds of people who think "hacking" is typing
> "./configure ; make ; make install".
>
> Much GAR.

In your shoes, I'd be tempted to tell that that, if they don't like the
GNOME developers' work, they're very welcome to fork off a copy and hack
it up to suit.  And, who knows?  One in ten thousand might come up with
something worthwhile.

(And, as Ben says, component software is indisputably a good idea for
the long term.)

> That said, I am committed to making GNOME easier to build, especially
> with beta releases of GNOME 2.0 coming up, and have started working
> with Nick Moffitt's kickarse GAR ports system to provide a sensible
> method of building GNOME from tarballs. It will essentially be a new
> 'distribution' of GNOME.

This is _very_ cool.  Interesting to hear.

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window