[linux-elitists] Beaujolais! Vorbis RC3!

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue Jan 1 14:22:37 PST 2002

At 2:03 PM -0700 1/1/02, Jack Moffitt wrote:
> > > Apple uses Qdesign.

> > Not sure what you're talking about -- both iTunes (version 2.0.3) and
> > my iPod state that they use Fraunhofer and Thomson technologies for
> > MP3. iTunes does handle other codecs but is primarily CD/MP3.

> iTunes/iPod is a deviation.  I'm fairly sure that the rest of their
> stuff is qdesign.  I think they generally use it alongside sorensen
> video.  I was actually surprised to not see it in the codec listing of
> iTunes, but then again, it would have sounded bad :)

It wasn't clear, in part because I really wasn't following the thread
carefully, that you were referring to what went along with Sorensen video.

Given that iTunes can also use stuff from QuickTime, the omission doesn't
mean it doesn't have that capability. :)

> Maybe my knowledge is out of date now.

iTunes/iPod is clearly a change of strategy since they've both shipped in
the last year. I've never really used any of the other stuff (iMovie,
iDVD), but hope to at some point. iDVD is very cool for quickly tossing
off those DVDs. :)

--
_Deirdre                                              http://deirdre.net
                                                         - Douglas Adams