[linux-elitists] Beaujolais! Vorbis RC3!

Jason Spence thalakan@lightconsulting.com
Tue Jan 1 04:05:48 PST 2002

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 09:18:49PM -0700, Jack Moffitt developed
a new theory of relativity and:
> http://www.vorbis.com/ has all the goodies as usual.  Better grab fast
> before the slashdot crowd finds out and takes away the bandwidth :)
>
> With this release, I don't think there's much real competition anymore.
> We should be embarassing WMA now.  MPC and AAC are the only real
> contenders at this point from a quality perspective.  And we're close.

I'm not set up to do any testing, but how does (say) 64kbps ogg sound
compared to the usual 192kbps MP3?  Microsoft claims to get same
quality using the WM8 audio codec at 64kbps vs Fraunhofer at 128kbps.
Apple and Real are making similar wild claims, but Microsoft
makes a big deal about a event they held with a bunch of pro musicians
who confirmed their claims.  I'm reserving judgement until I hear from
someone unbiased.

A little birdy just told me that KDE has an ioslave for ripping to ogg
vorbis and it's in Debian testing.  Too bad I don't have any audio
cds.

--
 - Jason

The full impact of parenthood doesn't hit you until you multiply the
number of your kids by 32 teeth.