[linux-elitists] Fwd: [hangout] Last Nights Board Meeting [ruben@mrbrklyn.com]

Ruben I Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Thu Feb 28 06:18:43 PST 2002

I'd like to thank everyone who participated in last nights board
meeting.  I would like to give a run down for those who did not make it
the meeting, on the areas covered in the meeting and for the immediate
plans of NYLXS in the coming couple of months.

First, let me report on our current achievements from the Month of
February.  February was a huge month for the growth and development of
NYLXS.  Starting with the Linux World Expo, our members participated in
multiple aspects of the Expo and ran the NYLXS booth.  We delivered
literature to hundreds of people and penetrated multiple sets of
targeted people for our classes and group.  In addition, we did
demonstrations and game housing and bedding to visiting dignitaries for
around the globe who came to LWE.

In addition to LWE, we also launched a second classroom facility this
month at West 44th Street.  This allowed us to run two classes in
parallel, and we are now serving over 30 students in Free Software
education.  We launched the Linux 1 class, which has been huge success
in empowering users with the Linux OS.  Both classes are drawing to a
close and we are planning to expand to two more facilities in March.

The Website redesign is continuing and the events, classes and new
membership areas are all up to some degree.  Templating is underway and
will continue to develope into March.  There are a number of areas in
the site which need to be worked on, and Marcus Conti has volunteered to
become familiar with the layout and lend a hand in this process.

Membership is growing, and classes are leading folks to become more
active in the variety of NYLXS activities.  Some of the new members are
beginning to find their way through our organization.  Others are a bit
bewildered by the array of activities that we have undergone.

Our Journal has been started and Michael Richardson has several quality
articles in his hands.  The projected publication date of the completed
Journal is for late March.  Michael requests that is anyone has a
contribution to make, to get it in to him very soon.

Our financial situation is very good at present.  NYLXS is carrying over
$6600 dollars in liquid assets currently and over $8000 in equity.  We
hope to have enough cash on hand in the coming month to seriously open a
permanent home and residency.

The High School initiative  still getting underway.  We are trying to
compile a list of High Schools and contacts within the school system.
The project has been hampered somewhat by the fact that our people are
so busy in other areas.  But within the next 2 weeks, serious dents are
to be made on this front, including the K-12 tech support hotline on the
NYLXS website.

Our trip to Washington DC was cost efficient and effective.  6 members
of NYLXS made it down to DC and we opened many door to Anthony Weiner's
office.  Our alliance with NY Fair Use effective and developing nicely.
The full write up for the Washington DC trip is on the NYLXS Website,
and Paul has some photo's up as well.

We made inroads with Brooklyn Borough Hall and Scott Cotten.  We want to
thank Peter for spending so much time with our people and for listening.
 We are currently in the process of developing a complete proposal for
Free Software in the Borough, with an eye to extending it on other city
agencies.  We could use the help of some senior system administrators on
this proposal and project.

All of this is part of our Linux in Government project, which includes
Federal contacts as well.
Finally, our In Service program is continuing.  Although David Sugar
backed out of the last in service due to an illness in the family, Marco
is committed for an in service on Blender in a couple of weeks, and we
hope to get David's presentation up soon as well.

In the coming month, NYLXS is hoping to focus on the following programs.

Membership Drive:  Richard Weinberg, as Chairman of the Membership
committee is too organize a membership drive in coordination with Joe
Grastara, of the PR Chair.  We need to start with brain storming and
work out some incentive  program to spur more participation in NYLXS's
overall program.

Teachers Seminar:  We are going to develope out of the educational chair
a 6 week program designed for educators specifically designed to show
how we envision the future of computer education in K-12, and
specifically, the great importance of using Free Software in this
environment.  Our emphasis is developing computer science skills in
children, as you would develop math skills and reading skills.  We hope
to kick off enrollment of this program in April

High School Tech support and free software installations - This just
needs to be systematically approached in the coming week and we hope to
get Jay Schulzburg to help with this.

Linux Showcase - This is a monthly program where out Tech Community gets
to show off it's ability for clients and potential users of Free
Software.  This is a show and tell program in a relaxed atmosphere, and
an opportunity for our members to network.  Only Members will be allowed
to display.

April Elections.  According to our Charter, our first election committee
needs to be formed and an election needs to take place in May for a
permanent Board.  Nominations will be taken next week.

The NY Times protest.  The NY TImes is beginning to market digital
versions of the paper which time out after 21 days.  We find this a
dangerous precedent and expect to protest against the Time in the coming
month.  Once a information is purchased by the citizen, individuals need
to protected in the security of their property.

The Desktop initiative - One of our most important undertaking to
develop and market a business desktop, including the development of
training and templates for Open Office.  This is boring, tedious, and
potentially profitable work for folks who volunteer this for this
initiative.  It is part of our overall goals to get Fre Software in the
government, especially on the Federal Level.

Ruben

--
__________________________

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
__________________________
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.brooklynonline.com - For the love of Brooklyn
http://www.nyfairuse.org - The foundation of Democracy
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive or stories and
articles from around the net
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/mp3/sins.mp3 - C'est La Vie and a boy named Joe
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/downtown.html - See the New Downtown
Brooklyn....

1-718-382-5752

New Yorker Linux Users Scene
Fair Use -
because it's either fair use or useless....
--

Brooklyn Linux Solutions