[linux-elitists] ANNOUNCEMENT: We're going to Washington. Meeting announcement

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 8 01:33:30 PST 2002

on Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 04:42:54PM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Tina Gasperson quotation of Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 07:20:46PM -0500:
>
> > Don, I read your piece with interest. I think you are right in your
> > explanation of the spirit of copyright. And as much as I abhor
> > pornography and gratuitous violence in movies and video games, and as
> > effective as shortening the copyright term would probably be, I don't
> > think it is the government's job to "legislate morality" (bad cliche,
> > but it fits).
>
> Declining to offer a subsidy or monopoly is different from
> censorship.
>
> Ultimately, allowing Congress to tweak copyright terms based on
> content could lead to the Mainstream Media simply saying whatever
> the government wants them to, since they could get their copyrights
> truncated for hate speech or sedition or whatever subject Congress
> doesn't like that week.  But no big loss anyhow.

They could take the _profit_ out of such speech.

However removing copyright removes the restriction for _others_ to print
same.  Remember, it's copyright that's an incentive by _restricting_
rights to make, copy, modify, distribute,.....

/me continues preaching to the choir and stating the obvious....