[linux-elitists] Fallout of LWE - Things we need to follow up on

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 8 01:30:42 PST 2002

on Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 05:26:57PM -0800, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):
>
> [Open Office inherits from SO a severe lack of modularity, excessive
> size (especially for developers), lack of information in support docs
> about whether builds are so broken they aren't worth the epic download
> times, non-functional bugtracking.  OpenOffice.org cannot be reached
> for feedback at any of the standard, expect addresses.]
>
> Karsten, this is insightful enough that it deserves greater exposure.
> Would you please write it up as either an article, a Web page, or both?

As Rick is somewhat aware [1], I've been moving and starting a new job
in the past weeks.  This is my first night of POP mail connectivity in
almost a week.

That said, I'll add this suggestion to a pile of writing topics I'd like
to flesh out.  I strongly believe that free software benefits from
harsh, but ultimately constructive, critics.  I've a mind and a half to
be one here.

> I empathise with the OpenOffice.org developer community.  They've taken
> useful steps to address this situation, starting from nothing.  But
> still, when I want answers to simple questions like "What options are
> supported from the command line, and can I use OpenOffice that way as a
> document converter, without X11?", I don't even know where to start.

Quite.

ObAbiWord note.  It *is* possible to use AbiWord as a document
converter.  With some limitations.  And these options are even
documented on the command line:

    $ abiword --help

    Usage: /usr/bin/AbiWord_d [option]... [file]...

      -to               The target format of the file
			(abw, zabw, rtf, txt, utf8, html, latex)

Best I'm able to tell, it can read *from* .abw or plain text, but not,
say, from HTML to RTF (which would be really nice for converting my
resume to an idiot-MS-Word-friendly format).  I can do same from the
text version though.  Seeing as this largely just feeds a scanning
system, the resulting lack of formatting is no great loss.  Less even,
that I've got a job I like....

Notes:

1.  And, I believe, has the bruises to prove it.  For which I thank him
    again.