[linux-elitists] ANNOUNCEMENT: We're going to Washington. Meeting announcement

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Feb 6 16:42:54 PST 2002

begin Tina Gasperson quotation of Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 07:20:46PM -0500:

> Don, I read your piece with interest. I think you are right in your
> explanation of the spirit of copyright. And as much as I abhor
> pornography and gratuitous violence in movies and video games, and as
> effective as shortening the copyright term would probably be, I don't
> think it is the government's job to "legislate morality" (bad cliche,
> but it fits).

Declining to offer a subsidy or monopoly is different from
censorship.

Ultimately, allowing Congress to tweak copyright terms based on
content could lead to the Mainstream Media simply saying whatever
the government wants them to, since they could get their copyrights
truncated for hate speech or sedition or whatever subject Congress
doesn't like that week.  But no big loss anyhow.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti       Join the Distributed Unisys Google Experiment.