[linux-elitists] undelete

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Feb 5 18:33:28 PST 2002

(Asking how to do file undelete is of course highly non-elitist,
since the true elitist thing to do is come up with a good reason
why you didn't need the file, and _meant_ to clobber it.)

The following is an idea for a way to do undelete.

1. Kernel level: If a system call would clobber a file, spew that
file's meta-info, then contents out a /proc entry before doing
the work.  System calls to intercept and check include unlink(2),
open(2), and rename(2).

2. Tomb daemon: Read from the /proc entry; if a file appears
"interesting" from the meta-info, park it in a tomb area (the term
"tomb" for this kind of area is from Purdue).  If the tomb is
"too big", unlink the oldest files in it until it's small enough.
(The kernel will then spew them back through the proc entry;
ignore them.)

3. "can I have my file back please" utilities

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti       Join the Distributed Unisys Google Experiment.