[linux-elitists] Fallout of LWE - Things we need to follow up on

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Sun Feb 3 17:37:00 PST 2002

It's not as important as getting templates for office workers into the distro

We're at a dead end without getting one of the office suites up to snuff in terms of usability.

OTOH, that site really sucks.  Docs are thin, mailing lists, IMO, confusing,
and no

Download this latest stable release.

Mozilla suffers much the same problems

Ruben

On 2002.02.03 20:26:57 -0500 Rick Moen wrote:
>>Quoting Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):
>>
>>[Open Office inherits from SO a severe lack of modularity, excessive
>>size (especially for developers), lack of information in support docs
>>about whether builds are so broken they aren't worth the epic download
>>times, non-functional bugtracking.  OpenOffice.org cannot be reached
>>for feedback at any of the standard, expect addresses.]
>>
>>Karsten, this is insightful enough that it deserves greater exposure.
>>Would you please write it up as either an article, a Web page, or both?
>>
>>I empathise with the OpenOffice.org developer community.  They've taken
>>useful steps to address this situation, starting from nothing.  But
>>still, when I want answers to simple questions like "What options are
>>supported from the command line, and can I use OpenOffice that way as a
>>document converter, without X11?", I don't even know where to start.
>>
>>--
>>May those that love us love us; and those that don't love us, may
>>God turn their hearts; and if he doesn't turn their hearts, may
>>he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.brooklynonline.com - For the love of Brooklyn
http://www.nyfairuse.org - The foundation of Democracy