[linux-elitists] Fallout of LWE - Things we need to follow up on

Ruben Safir ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Sat Feb 2 19:07:21 PST 2002

>From NYLXS
http://www.nylxs.com

On 2002.02.02 21:47:19 -0500 Ruben Safir wrote:

Hello guys

We made some contacts at the Expo which will help us extend some of
the goals of our with NYLXS.  Cheif among these contacts was one I made
through the good graces of Don Marti with Sun Micro Systems and their
Open Office software initiative.

One of the things preventing Desktop adoption of Linux and free software
is the inadequacy of, not only office suites, but other necesary desktop
applications.  In the case of Open Office, which is an open version of
Star Office, the software is probibly very usable, however this is not
enough.  And Sun is working hard to get documentation of the suite
to be bundled with the products.   But even this is not adequate, and
I'm not convinced that Sun can usher this produce through to the
market without some help.  What's really needed is for the product
to be distributed with a few hundred working examples for macro and
programming templates which address real business application
problems.

This is my first call to Sun us at NYLXS to form a partnership in filling out
open office, so that it is every bit as usable as Microsoft Office.  And THEN
we need to start training classes to train users on the system, as we
currently do for Perl, and web services.

In a word, this might be our first step in our Desktop initiative.

The goals of NYLXS's Desktop initiative is to bring training and
enhancements to the free software desktop for the purpose of
replacing MS desktops in real world home, education, and business
environments.  This will boot strap many Free Software consultants
and users into paying jobs in the coming economic expanssion, and
free educational insititutions to use a free platform in reaching their
educational goals.

We need to reach Sun and meet with them and see how we can get
this all to work.  And we likely need another sub-committee to do
this.

There will be a follow up to this on another activity in the near future
relating to LWE connections..

Ruben
--
__________________________

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
__________________________
http://www.mrbrklyn.com - Consulting
http://www.brooklynonline.com - For the love of Brooklyn
http://www.nyfairuse.org - The foundation of Democracy
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive or stories and articles from around the net
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/mp3/hooked.mp3 - Spring is coming....

1-718-382-5752

New Yorker Linux Users Scene
Fair Use -
because it's either fair use or useless....
--

Brooklyn Linux Solutions