GUI/CLI mail client (was Re: [linux-elitists] What's some marketing buzzwords for what we do?)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 31 14:32:57 PST 2002

Quoting Wayne Earl (wayne@qconcepts.net):

> Great list. On a related note, I'm looking for a mail client that does
> BOTH gui and cli - I would prefer to get to my mail via a remote X
> connection, but oftentimes, am only able to get a shell via ssh (say,
> over a dialup, or from a system that doesn't have X installed). Is there
> such a beast?

If I read your requirement correctly, what you're looking for is either
one program that has both an X11 front-end and an ncurses/S-Lang/whatever
console one, or two programs (one X11, one console) with similar enough
design, behaviour, and keybindings to make them close cousins.  Is that
correct?

Obviously, any of the options for emacsen qualifies, to the extent emacs
at the console is considered the same as emacs with X11 support -- and
should be considered iff you like emacs.  Or you could use nmh at the
console, and exmh (a Tcl/Tk wrapper for nmh/mh) when you have X11 -- if
you happen to like nmh.  [n]mh is very much an acquired taste; it's sort
of the assembly language of mailers.

There's Paranoy (beta level), which has two versions, one with a GTK+
front-end and one with ncurses.

If what you're mainly seeking is largely identical keybindings, and
happen to like emacs mailers, then GTK+-based Sylpheed claims to be very
emacs-like in that fashion.

Disclaimer:  You don't think I _use_ any of those things, I hope.  ;->
So, my knowledge of them is second-hand.  My idea of proper mail access
is to always leave an instance or two of mutt running on my SMTP host
under a GNU screen session, reachable via ssh.

--
Cheers,     "There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a
Rick Moen   little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider