Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Tue Dec 31 13:10:05 PST 2002

On Tuesday 31 December 2002 06:59, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> I don't know Telstra, but I assume they have decided that it's the best
> choice for them as a company.  Many more companies are not converting their
> entire user base to Linux.

http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/26780.html

You might say that this is an exception, that Jeff Smith is only doing it
because he supposedly admires Scott McNealy, but there's some serious $$$s at
stake there and as more companies like Telstra make the move, the word is
going to get out that it's not as hard as ms keeps purporting it to be.

This is happening more and more, how about Ernie Ball guitar strings:

http://infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/11/27/021127hnerniball.xml?s=IDGNS

"Two years after moving to open-source products, Ball claims that he saves
$80,000 to $100,000 a year on IT spending"

Sure, they were "inspired" by the BSA, but made the switch. And it probably
cost them some the first couple years, but it's paying off now.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.