Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Tue Dec 31 12:56:55 PST 2002

On Tuesday 31 December 2002 06:54, Michael Bacarella wrote:
>         * Proprietary UNIX vendors, once they licensed the source, started
>           making plenty of incompatible changes and rushed to introduce
>           proprietary features. The end result of course is that a Sun
>           sys admin cannot leave the Sun platform without being retrained
>           for another platform. Software vendors have to spend more time
>           porting their software, etc.

I hope you don't really believe that. I attend BayLISA meetings where there
are quite a few Solaris sys admins that could probably run circles around
many of the the (so called) Linux sys admins.

Any decent sys admin worth their salt can go between SYSVR4 and Linux with no
problem, and that includes Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, and Linux just to name a few.
And let's not forget that even a decent Linux sys admin SHOULD know the
difference between Red Hat and Debian as an example and far too many of them
couldn't tell you because they've not used anything besides Red Hat. This is
not to mention some of the other differences in SuSE, Knoppix, Mandrake, or
Conectiva, or even the latest United Linux.

Remember that Linux is only a kernel, and the distributions have not been
agreeable on standards and/or even saints about it.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.