GUI/CLI mail client (was Re: [linux-elitists] What's some marketing buzzwords for what we do?)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Dec 31 11:53:32 PST 2002

begin Nick Moffitt quotation of Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 11:06:06AM -0800:

> 	What he's really looking for is something like an IMAP server
> or a collection of MUAs that honor mbox/mh/whatever identically.

You can almost get this if you go over to Maildir.

On the mail server (no X needed)...
  Courier-IMAP
  mutt
  sshd

On the client, with X...
  Evolution

(Mutt's IMAP support is too slow for me.)

The annoying thing is that Courier-IMAP insists on sticking a dot in
front of folder names in ~/Maildir -- why?

I switched to Maildir last year and the only disadvantage I've
noticed is that it requires much longer to open really big Maildir
directories in Mutt than to open really big mboxes.  Is that the
only problem with Maildir?

(So far this thread has had free software purist vs.  "anything but
Microsoft", Google, mail clients, bogosity of IT certification,
Linux for Grandma, stupidity of Unix vendors, Mailman/regular
expressions in Python...and the above question should bring in the
subject of Prof.  D.J. Bernstein, so all we need is the DMCA.)

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the