Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Tue Dec 31 11:11:14 PST 2002

>From Don Marti
> Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 10:05 AM
> To: linux-elitists@zgp.org
> Subject: Re: [linux-elitists] What's some marketing buzzwords for what we
> do?
>
>  beginLarry M. Augustin quotation of Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 08:52:16PM -
> 0800:
>
> > The problem that I have with promoting StarOffice (I've only tried
> > StarOffice, not OpenOffice, but I'd expect them to be similar) is that
> it's
> > a piece of crap.  It's awful software.
>
> Wait a minute, Larry...on Sunday you said
>
> "Agreed: StarOffice is good enough for a lot of people."

I wrote that too quickly.

Here's what I was thinking:  I know people who use StarOffice today and find
it good enough.  Therefore by some measure it is good enough for some set of
people.

But when people tout StarOffice as a general replacement for MS Office, I
start to get a bit frustrated.  I can't in good conscience recommend
StarOffice to most people.  It's just too buggy.  I've lost too much data
using it.  I even tried the Windows version once just to see if it was just
the Linux version.  It wasn't.

So I suppose there are a set of people who just want basic word processor
functionality, and therefore manage to stay within a set of StarOffice
functions that don't crash.  Maybe StarOffice is "good enough" for them.

But I still think it's crappy software...  And I really hate advocating for
crappy software.

> Are there any numbers on office suite ROI?

Good question.

> I can argue that my
> Herman Miller chair is better than someone else's Office Max chair,
> but I can't put a dollar amount on my ass comfort.  How is it worth more
> to a company to have a better office suite?

I'm looking forward to an entire thread on the comfort of don's ass...

That aside, I would guess that office suite ROI would be measured by the
time to accomplish a task.  E.g.  define a set of "office" tasks and measure
the time for a person with the same amount of training in each product to
accomplish that task.  At least that's how I think of it when I do some
office suite task.

Larry