Justin F. Knotzke jknotzke@shampoo.ca
Tue Dec 31 08:43:58 PST 2002

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 06:46:45AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> I may be talking out of /dev/ass, in which case some Java devotee is
> welcome to set me straight.

  Not at all. You have an excellent grasp of the situation. Being a
longtime Java coder I can tell you in all honesty that Sun and most
people who code in Java don't really care too much (if at all) about
their code being Open Source. Java programmers rely heavily on Sun and
IBM for packages.

   Take for instance anything to do with J2EE. The amount of money and
code that goes into J2EE is incredible and none of it is Open Source and
you can rest assured that Sun and IBM could care less.

	If you wanted to write a pure Open Source app in Java you would have
to tread carefully and you'd probably have to rewrite a lot of code that
is already done for you by Sun or IBM.

    In which case, you might as well do it using Python or something
like it.

    J.

--
Justin F. Knotzke