Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Tue Dec 31 07:10:11 PST 2002

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 06:59:23AM -0800, Larry M. Augustin said:

> Most people who own a car just care that it gets them point A to B reliably.
> They don't care how much horsepower it has.  Most don't know anything about
> how it works.  They'll probably buy something similar to what their friends
> buy, simply because choice of car is not that important to them, and they'd
> rather fit and go with the crowd if it's not important.  They don't want to
> know how the car works.  They want to spend their time thinking about things
> that they care about, and cars are not one of them.

And look at how cars are marketed to them:

1) Scenes of the car doing car things.
2) Price and financing.
3) Warranty.

Some car commercials will mentions under-the-hood specs, but they're not
given any higher priority than the above and frequently less.  Those
commercials that do give high priority to the specs are for cars that
sell to niche markets.  The Ford Escort isn't marketed on its
horsepower or torque; it's marketed on its price, warranty, and the
colors in which its paint is available.

Want Linux on the desktop?  The people who care about licensing terms
already HAVE Linux on their desktop.  Grandma needs to see Linux logging
onto AOL, downloading pictures from a digital camera and sending them to
the grandkids and vice versa, and hear that it costs $0 and that her
local computer shop can fix it just like they do her Windows box.  She
also needs to be able to walk into Wal-Mart and buy the PC with Linux
already on it.

Some of these things are there, some aren't; but none of them are
marketed very well.

--
Shawn McMahon            | Emacs: It's a nice OS, but to compete with
AIM work: spmcmahonfedex | Linux or Windows it needs a better text