Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Mon Dec 30 19:07:15 PST 2002

On Sunday 29 December 2002 21:23, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> I think the comparison we want is to Accware or Small Business Manager, not
> MS Office.

I've been looking at their website some. Definitely not what I had priced and
confused with VariCAD or similar I was looking at last week. VariCAD is
$399/seat for a AutoCAD replacement. Runs on Linux. There was another I was
looking at also.

Accware has many modules that are licensed on concurent users. This type of
product is really overkill for most small businesses, or what I consider
small businesses that could use QuickBooks.

Do you think that companies with less than 25 employees would buy into
Accware?

My previous reference to ms-dos-office is that the bulk of users in a company
use that type of product along with email these days. There's an enormous
amount of expenditure on ms-dos licensing, and there is savings to be had by
using Linux and OpenOffice/StarOffice.

Let me ask you this. Do you see any value in promoting Linux/OpenOffice as an
alternative to ms-dos/ms-dos-office? If so, do you see value for companies in
size of 50-100 client desktops to pursue that savings?

I think this is a valid sector to target. It won't cover the financial
software like Accware or SBM or Peachtree, etc...but there is an opportunity
to replace desktops with Linux/OpenOffice for a large sector of business
work, including word processing, spreadsheets, presies, email.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.