Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Sun Dec 29 21:33:15 PST 2002

On Sunday 29 December 2002 21:23, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> But I don't think that we're talking about desktop MS Office users here.  I
> think that we're talking about small to medium business accounting,
> inventory, payroll, website, etc.

Ok, this I will give you that there are few solutions to this situation,
however, there really aren't that many solutions that are turnkey on ms-dos
either. Once a company gets the size that they do need something to handle
their finance, most turn to in-house developers who produce stuff in Oracle
BAAN.

> I think the comparison we want is to Accware or Small Business Manager, not
> MS Office.  At least that's what I'm trying to understand, and that goes
> back to my original question to Michael about what the customer wants.  I
> think Michael's talking about a Linux/Open Source alternative for Small
> Business Manager.

I say at that point you need to customize things pretty much and go the
Oracle Financials, SAP, BAAN, PeopleSoft route. Originally Michael mentioned
15-20 employee companies, and those seem small for even the needs of Accware.

Accware seems to fall somewhere between the desktop and the enterprise, IMO.

The question is, can it solve the enterprise problem? I don't have an answer
for that as I don't know anyone who's tried it yet.

> p.s. Gotta love the way MS uses generic sounding terms ("Small Business
> Manager", "Office", "Windows") as trademarked terms.  Who else could get
> away with that?

Remember that they tack on ms to the front of it, not that it's an excuse for
them to get away with using generic terms like that as a trademark, but I
think that's how they can do it.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.