Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Sun Dec 29 21:25:08 PST 2002

On Sunday 29 December 2002 20:30, Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> Agreed.  My sister-in-law has been using Quickbooks on Mac for years to run
> her restaurant and is very happy with it.

As a consultant that has used Quickbooks for quite a while, that's been one
way to do it that you don't have to touch ms-dos. However, gnucash has
refined the interface quite a bit, and added a gtk+ UI on it, I've been
looking at it as a possible solution...but haven't gotten far enough myself
to be able to produce good invoices.

The other solution to Quickbooks is the CodeWeavers cross-over plugin. I
haven't tried to use it on Linux myself though, but evidentally the new
CodeWeaver plugin supports some versions of it.

> I guess that I'd disagree that there aren't shrink-wrapped software vendors
> trying to address that market. That's what MS wants to go after with Great
> Plains' Small Business Manager.  There are also products like iCode's
> Accware (which runs on Linux), Peachtree, and others.

Wow, I know that Peachtree did you well for quite a long time, but I'm
surprised that you would consider it to be a solution when it was loosing
data for you on a regular basis as your company grew. No denying you got your
milage out of it though...

> Small Business Manager is something like $1,500 for a usable version (w/ US
> payroll & tax tables).  I don't know Accware's pricing on Linux.

I was looking into it recentely and I thought it was pretty reasonable, like
$300/seat. I could be wrong on that though. I don't know what functionality
that Small Business Manager offers, but Accware looks like a decent solution
to me.

> Now the stuff they're offering may be crap, but I haven't checked it out so
> I don't know.

But tell me, what's the difference even if it was? ms software is crap also,
and people buy it. ms could sell dog $#!T at a lawn party and people gobble
it up. There is room for alternate solutions in the world.

> But my question is why isn't something like Accware on Linux a good
> solution?  If it's crap, where does it fail?  Or are you talking about
> providing installation, customization, and training for something like
> Accware?

I think it probably is a decent solution, but the public has been brainwashed
into believing that ms-dos will solve their problems. This is the evil that
was accomplished by ms being able to force-load their crap down the throats
of innocent buyers, most of whom felt they got it for free. They did the same
thing with office, offering prior versions for dirt cheap when people
purchased their ms-dos systems that were preloaded with their crap. Now,
ms-dos-office is considered the "standard", and even the reason that
OpenOffice/StarOffice can exist is that it will open the majority of those
documents.

ms has done the Linux sector a favor by introducing their new subscription
licensing, it's given the industry a reason to look for alternative
solutions, and Linux is one.

I heard that you were using ms-dos and ms software towards your aging days at
VA, how was it working out for you? Did it honestly offer you functionality
that other products didn't offer you on Linux? Or was it just convenient
because all of your colleagues were using it? I can't for the life of me
believe there is any software that you couldn't install on Linux, so did it
truely offer you functionality that you couldn't get from other products?

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.