Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Sun Dec 29 20:30:12 PST 2002

>From Michael Bacarella:

> Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2002 6:41 PM
> To: linux-elitists@zgp.org
> Subject: Re: [linux-elitists] What's some marketing buzzwords for what we
> do?
>
> > Michael, can you be more specific about the need?  What business
> functions
> > do they want to automate?  What proprietary software are they
> considering?
> > E.g. Quickbooks?  Great Plains?  Where does that software fail?  What
> are
> > some examples of what you've built for customers?
>
> [...]
>
> > This sounds like exactly the market MS claims they are going after.
> Small
> > to medium business, with little or no IT, who just wants to buy a CD and
> > click on "install".  MS will tell you that's exactly their target
> customer.
> > It's interesting to hear that you think this market is being ignored.
>
> Well, lets put it this way.
>
> If you look at a business with only one storefront and only one computer
> in the back, there's nothing you can really do. Microsoft, et al. have
> shrink-wrapped software that targets these people very well.

Agreed.  My sister-in-law has been using Quickbooks on Mac for years to run
her restaurant and is very happy with it.

> But once you add a second store, and then a warehouse, and mail order
> (web orders?), and offer product wholesaling, etc. you suddenly have
> a large information management problem that none of the shrink-wrap
> software vendors address, and the companies that can address it aren't
> going to bother unless you're talking six figures up front.
>
> THAT is the market for wandering hackers if you ask me.

I guess that I'd disagree that there aren't shrink-wrapped software vendors
trying to address that market. That's what MS wants to go after with Great
Plains' Small Business Manager.  There are also products like iCode's
Accware (which runs on Linux), Peachtree, and others.

Small Business Manager is something like $1,500 for a usable version (w/ US
payroll & tax tables).  I don't know Accware's pricing on Linux.

Now the stuff they're offering may be crap, but I haven't checked it out so
I don't know.

But my question is why isn't something like Accware on Linux a good
solution?  If it's crap, where does it fail?  Or are you talking about
providing installation, customization, and training for something like
Accware?

Larry