Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Sun Dec 29 19:32:03 PST 2002

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Larry M. Augustin wrote:

> Returning to the original question...
>
> Michael, can you be more specific about the need?  What business functions
> do they want to automate?  What proprietary software are they considering?
> E.g. Quickbooks?  Great Plains?  Where does that software fail?  What are
> some examples of what you've built for customers?
>
> This sounds like exactly the market MS claims they are going after.  Small
> to medium business, with little or no IT, who just wants to buy a CD and
> click on "install".  MS will tell you that's exactly their target customer.
> It's interesting to hear that you think this market is being ignored.
>
> Larry

Microsoft claims to have a cheap, useful, and easy to use system.  It is
not cheap, it is not as useful as the competition's, and it is certainly
not easy to use.

There are no programming tasks that remain to be done to produce and sell
into the fabled Desktop Market a fine free system.  Given the will and a
mere pittance of money, the run can be made, with a good chance of profit.

Of course, the two most important things are:

1. You must buy in lots no smaller than 100,000.

2. Each identical defined system must actually work and work out of the
box.  Including GNUPG.  No "web of incomprehensibility".

oo--JS.