Michael Bacarella mbac@netgraft.com
Sun Dec 29 18:41:04 PST 2002

> Michael, can you be more specific about the need?  What business functions
> do they want to automate?  What proprietary software are they considering?
> E.g. Quickbooks?  Great Plains?  Where does that software fail?  What are
> some examples of what you've built for customers?

[...]

> This sounds like exactly the market MS claims they are going after.  Small
> to medium business, with little or no IT, who just wants to buy a CD and
> click on "install".  MS will tell you that's exactly their target customer.
> It's interesting to hear that you think this market is being ignored.

Well, lets put it this way.

If you look at a business with only one storefront and only one computer
in the back, there's nothing you can really do. Microsoft, et al. have
shrink-wrapped software that targets these people very well.

But once you add a second store, and then a warehouse, and mail order
(web orders?), and offer product wholesaling, etc. you suddenly have
a large information management problem that none of the shrink-wrap
software vendors address, and the companies that can address it aren't
going to bother unless you're talking six figures up front.

THAT is the market for wandering hackers if you ask me.

--
Michael Bacarella  | Netgraft Corp
                   | 545 Eighth Ave #401
 Systems Analysis  | New York, NY 10018
Technical Support  | 212 946-1038 | 646 641-8662
 Managed Services  | http://netgraft.com/