Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sun Dec 29 18:20:38 PST 2002

begin  Michael Bacarella quotation of Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:06:09PM -0500:

> If you look at most businesses, it's really sickening how much time
> they waste dealing with trivial computing problems wrought by an MCSE
> filled IT department or even no IT department. Once you talk to the
> owners, you may as well be selling them magic.

This type of project is generally too small for a "real" IT
consulting firm.  Once you throw in project management, overhead, and
any retained earnings for investors, it doesn't work, financially.
(Even if you don't do any R&D or marketing.)

> To me, this is our golden opportunity. Programmers in India cannot
> be hired to do this, and most programmer peons (MCSEs) are
> either incompetent, or just oblivious to the demand.

It's not that programmers here are incompetent at their jobs, it's
that they don't know enough about sales and project management to
land projects and handle clients.  (Remember, most of these projects
aren't big enough to pay for a project manager too.) That goes for
free software and proprietary software programmers both.

> I've seen one company call it "Business Process Automation", which
> is good, but they were targetting huge corporations.

I like this term.  Why shouldn't small companies get automation as good
as the big ones?

> What would you call it? I realize that this list is not my marketing
> department, but I'm assuming that at least some of you do the same thing
> for a living, and may have figured out what it's called.  If not, this
> may be an opportunity for us to coin a term that is of advantage to
> us superior Linux wielding beings and burn it into everyone's brains
> through the usual media manipulation channels.

The "real" IT services operations are already creating demand for
this kind of thing.  Small business owners read the Forbes and
Business Week ads targeted to big business CIOs -- they just can't
afford to buy.  All you need to do is pick up the small jobs the big
companies won't do.  Let the big companies do all the big marketing,
and just use whatever term they do.

(Point of order: I fixed the regular expressions in the Mailman
"dress code" configuration to better match the stated policy of
the list.  Sorry about the mistake and resulting inconvenience.)

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the