Andrew akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com
Sun Dec 29 12:18:12 PST 2002

> I've not looked over the MCSE course material in years, but I suspect it's
> still pretty sterile. Do the MCSE course materials encourage understanding
> of the NT* system calls?  Do you write a replacement for the explorer.exe
> shell? How about writing a simple driver? A simple service? Do you even
> develop a command line application? Do you at least become familar with
> tools like regmon, filemon, etc?

Don't be rediculous.  I dislike Windows but there is absolutely no reason for
a network admin or even system admin to know NT calls, replace explorer.exe
with something homebrew or write drivers.  That is what Microsoft wants you
to call them for (and pay for, obviously).  Just because you're a gearhead
doesn't mean you can tear down and rebuild a transmission or do _serious_
engine work.

Now on being an expert at regmon, filemon and friends, knowing how to grok
bluescreens and pin down the causes and generally being a guru at configuring
and running NT, and having at least a passing knowledge on the internals is,
IMO, more than sufficient for 95% of the admin jobs out there and is what I
would consider required knowledge.  That last 5% is what highly paid
consultants are for.

Regards,
Andrew