Michael Bacarella mbac@netgraft.com
Sun Dec 29 10:06:09 PST 2002

Hi,

As a Linux elitist who has taken the leap into independent consulting,
I am finding that a good source of untapped business in the US is
small-medium sized companies who need some old fashioned business
automation. And Linux and open source are just what fits the bill.
Well, that and some elbow grease from competent h4x0rz (hopefully
me).

If you look at most businesses, it's really sickening how much time
they waste dealing with trivial computing problems wrought by an MCSE
filled IT department or even no IT department. Once you talk to the
owners, you may as well be selling them magic. They want it. I've
pitched some kind of solution to about, oh, 15 businesses this year,
all of which seemed very interested. The most negative response was simply
"You'll have to call us back, we're just not ready to move yet".

To me, this is our golden opportunity. Programmers in India cannot
be hired to do this, and most programmer peons (MCSEs) are
either incompetent, or just oblivious to the demand. I don't see
large corporations hiring every single unemployed programer to
work on projects, and there seems to be a shortage of startups
with capital to burn on us at the moment. I figure marketing our services to
every single US business under 2000 employees is our best bet, as
these are exactly the businesses that have been overlooked by the
tech boom, or are only now interested in what we have to offer.

Of course, explaining what we're offering is kind of tricky. Cluetrain
aside, I'm trying to come up with a 3-5 word description of what I can
do that even computer illiterate business owners can figure out.
The best I've come up with is "Business Expansion Technology" or maybe
"Integrated Business Systems Consulting".

I've seen one company call it "Business Process Automation", which
is good, but they were targetting huge corporations.

What would you call it? I realize that this list is not my marketing
department, but I'm assuming that at least some of you do the same thing
for a living, and may have figured out what it's called.  If not, this
may be an opportunity for us to coin a term that is of advantage to
us superior Linux wielding beings and burn it into everyone's brains
through the usual media manipulation channels.

--
Michael Bacarella  | Netgraft Corp
                   | 545 Eighth Ave #401
 Systems Analysis  | New York, NY 10018
Technical Support  | 212 946-1038 | 646 641-8662
 Managed Services  | http://netgraft.com/