[linux-elitists] Kernel-mode Linux

Nick 'Sharkey' Moore sharkey@zoic.org
Thu Dec 12 19:34:09 PST 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 02:54:18PM +0200, Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:

> Think router. Obviously, Linux is perfect for such an application. [...]
> Sure, if you've got a bug in that task you bring down the whole machine

Obviously.  That's what _I_ look for in a router.

> Is this the choice I would make every time? nope. But it's a viable
> option. In fact, most RTOS do exactly this but they also come with a
> expensive per device license fee. ;-)

And I'm certainly not saying that a FreeRTOS would be a bad thing!

The actual paper is very interesting -- internal protection for
the Linux kernel would be brilliant.  It's intriguing to think
that by protecting the kernel from itself, the lines between
'kernel mode' and 'user mode' become blurred, eg: the privileges
of the IP stack code can be greatly reduced.

But using such an idea just to get a 14% speed increase on
user-space code?  I'm not so sure.

-----sharks