[linux-elitists] Correction: Midnight EST End of Friday 6 December 2002 is the Deadline for Comments by Email to the FCC Regarding the Digital Flag Mandate

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Fri Dec 6 05:57:28 PST 2002

Seth David Schoen has kindly and with useful effect pointed out that:

Midnight EST end of Friday 6 December 2002 is the deadline for comments by
email to the FCC regarding the Digital Flag Mandate.

  from="a post by Seth David Schoen to free-sklyarov@zork.net"
  edits="removal of extraneous matter">

We also have some material on this at

http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/archives/000234.html#000234

I would encourage people who are not familiar with the issue to base
their comments on an existing sample letter (there are now several) or
to become familiar by reading several sources.  Some fraction of the
individual comments are making irrelevant or incorrect statements, and
that will undermine the credibility of individual commenters.  (If a
lot of people say something which is a misconception, MPAA can say in
its reply comments that all these consumers have been misled and
actually have nothing to worry about.)

I have a minor correction to the LXNY article.  The filing deadline is
7:00p for paper-filed comments and midnight for electronic comments
via ECFS.  You can confirm this at

http://wireless.fcc.gov/csinfo/comments.html

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk

To have a look at already filed comments go to

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/comsrch_v2.cgi

and put only 02-230 into the Proceedings field and hit the "Retrieve
Document List" button at the bottom of the page.

See also:

http://www.lxny.org/announce/2002/FCC.6.December.2002.html

The MPAA and the RIAA have commented.  So have TiVo and Disney.

Home Tapers have commented.

Hams have commented.

Richard Stallman and many folk of the Free Software Tribes have commented.

We need every comment we can get, and the best comment is your own comment
in your own words.

Below find full official instructions on how to submit a comment by email.

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

  from="official instructions of the FCC"
  edits="added in the NPRM Docket number, explained one oddity of format">

From: ecfs@fccsun24w.fcc.gov (Generic ecfs Account(Bill Cline))

********  ECFS INSTRUCTIONS FILE - SAMPLE - README                **********
********                                                          **********
********        EXPLANATION ONLY - DO NOT SEND IN THIS FILE       **********
********                                                          **********
********  REPEAT: DO NOT RE-SEND THIS FILE - IT IS ONLY A SAMPLE  **********
********                                                          **********
**
** Email submission rules:
**
** Email submissions should be sent to ecfs@fcc.gov.
** Email submissions will allow printable ASCII text only.
** Email submissions must be contained in the body of the e-mail,
**    rather than attachments.
** Email submissions must contain only one document per submission,
**    multiple documents will be ignored.
** Email submissions must adhere to the format of the
**   Electronic Transmittal Form for Email filings.
**
** Email Filings must be accompanied by information
** containing the ECFS Document Index Terms.  For automated processing
** via email, this must be computer readable.  For this, you must use
** a free-format, computer-readable form, as described below,
** using SGML tags.
**
** The requested info is to be placed after the text in angle brackets.
**
** The tagged info should be contained on a single line.
** Change the text after the brackets.

<Apparently you do not need end tags, see examples below./>

**
** <PROCEEDING>, <NAME>, <ADDRESS1>, <CITY>, <STATE>, <ZIP>,
** <DOCUMENT-TYPE>, and <TEXT> are required.
**
** List of DOCUMENT TYPES:
**   CO  COMMENT
**   ER  ERRATUM
**   MN  MOTION
**   PR  PETITION FOR RECONSIDERATION
**   RC  REPLY TO COMMENTS
**   RL  REPLY
**   RQ  REQUEST
**
** For assistance in using ECFS, please contact: (202) 418-0193 or
** submit an email to: ECFSHELP@fcc.gov.
**
** For suggestions and comments regarding the system design and
** operation, please contact Bill Cline at bcline@fcc.gov or
** (202)418-0267, TTY (202) 418-2555.
**
**   NOTE TO OUR INTERNATIONAL USERS SUBMITTING ELECTRONIC COMMENTS:
**   To enable you to file electronically, please complete the required
**   "City" and "Zip Code" fileds.  Type in "DC" as the state and "00000"
**   as the zip.

<PROCEEDING>         PUT-DOCKET-NUMBER or RULEMAKING-NUMBER HERE.
                     <which number is 02-230/>
<DATE>               FILED-DATE-IN-MM/DD/YY-FORMAT
<NAME>               APPLICANT-OR-PETITIONER-NAME
<ADDRESS1>           ADDRESS
<ADDRESS2>           ADDRESS
<CITY>               CITY
<STATE>              TWO-LETTER-STATE-CODE
<ZIP>                ZIPCODE
<LAW-FIRM>           LAW-FIRM
<ATTORNEY>           LAWYER-NAME
<FILE-NUMBER>        FILE-NUMBER
<DOCUMENT-TYPE>      TWO-LETTER-DOCUMENT-TYPE-CODE (See list of DOCUMENT TYPES)
                     <CO for comment/>
<PHONE-NUMBER>       SENDER-PHONE-NUMBER
<DESCRIPTION>        EMAIL-COMMENT
<CONTACT-EMAIL>      EMAIL-ADDRESS-RESPONSE-DESTINATION
<TEXT>               ACTUAL TEXT OF MESSAGE...
Dear FCC...

** Example 1 (law firm):

<PROCEEDING>         97-21
<DATE>               11/22/97
<NAME>               Jane M. Doe
<ADDRESS1>           902 Snyder Lane
<ADDRESS2>           Apt. 34
<CITY>               Wichita
<STATE>              KS
<ZIP>                20530
<LAW-FIRM>           Smith & Jones
<ATTORNEY>           Robert Smith
<FILE-NUMBER>	     2314
<DOCUMENT-TYPE>      CO
<PHONE-NUMBER>       410-555-4657
<DESCRIPTION>        Email Comment
<CONTACT-EMAIL>      jdoe@public.com
<TEXT>

Dear FCC,

Our client, XYZ Company, supports the local-access station WXXX. Please review the enclosed materials for further explanation. Thanks.

Jane M. Doe
Attorney-At-Law
Smith & Jones

** Example 2 (individual):

<PROCEEDING>	     00-221
<DATE>		     6/12/01
<NAME>		     John P. Doe
<ADDRESS1>	     123 Kennedy Drive
<ADDRESS2>
<CITY>		     Newark
<STATE>		     NJ
<ZIP>		     07103
<LAW-FIRM>
<ATTORNEY>
<FILE-NUMBER>
<DOCUMENT-TYPE>	     RC
<PHONE-NUMBER>	     973-555-7893
<DESCRIPTION>	     Email Comment
<CONTACT-EMAIL>	     jdoe@commercial.com
<TEXT> Dear FCC,
I don't want to pay more for my phone. Please remove the surcharge and let competition rule. Thank you.
Joe