[linux-elitists] (maybe OT) win refunds and installable CDs?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Aug 28 11:03:28 PDT 2002

begin Bulent Murtezaoglu quotation of Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 01:34:51PM -0400:

> This can actually be read, at least to my Turkish ear, that you cannot
> use the machine itself unless you agree to the licences of the
> programs even when you don't use the said programs.  Huh?

<ianal>This is a bluff.  The transaction had the form of a sale, and
they can't rewrite the terms of the sale after they took your money.
They _sold_ you the damn computer.</ianal>

Tell you what: if you ask for your refund and get turned down, I will
publicly buy your Windows rescue CD, separately from the computer,
for $10 US.  I'll get someone to take pictures of you handing me
the disk and me handing you the money, and put it on a web site.

Don't bother posting "but it won't install!"  -- I know the CD
be useless to me, and I have no intention of accepting the license
myself -- just want to demonstrate that this is legal.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                       Help spread accurate information