[linux-elitists] (maybe OT) win refunds and installable CDs?

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Tue Aug 27 16:54:01 PDT 2002

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 08:41:44AM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:

> I don't mind having to hit two buttons at once to emulate a middle
> button; in fact, I use an IBM Trackpoint keyboard at work, so I do this
> all day every day.  I can do this with my thumb without looking.
>
> But having to look at the blessed thing and find the right keyboard
> button would edge that one tiny bit further past the "suck" threshold
> and would be, as one of my co-workers says, "the squaw that stroked the
> camels sack".

We liberated some three-button USB mice from some "complementary"
Sunrays and are able to get by OK with them, but I see the point
about wanting to use the bits included in the laptop itself.

This bad situation gets even worse in the case of software written to
use mouse-button chords--one biomolecular modeling programs for
instance use something like left-middle for Z-axis zooming, others
use several chord combinations that would be pretty hairy to map to
keyboard combinations.

I'll take the glass-half-full view toward the existence of the Darwin
core for MacOS X and the fact that Debian woody with Branden's
XFree86 4.2 patches works on our G4 Powerbook, but the one-button
thing remains an Issue.

--Joe