[linux-elitists] Re: (maybe OT) win refunds and installable CDs?

Adam Lazur adam@lazur.org
Mon Aug 26 08:56:37 PDT 2002

Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com) said:
> 2) One freakin' mouse button.  That's a deal-breaker for me.  And I
> don't wanna hear about external mice; it's a LAPTOP, I wanna use it on
> my lap, without lugging around a rodent and a playpen for it to roll on.

You can easily map a mouse buttons to keys on your keyboard. This isn't
as bad as it sounds.

When I had a Powerbook, I mapped middle click to the (stupid) enter key
that is to the right of the keyboard. It's close enough to the trackpad
that you can tap it quickly.  I mapped the right mouse button to F11 on
the keyboard, which worked out alright. You could probably map it to
another lower key on the keyboard so it is close to the trackpad if
you're a heavy rodent user.

My only real complaint with the powerbook input wise was the stupid caps
lock key. It doesn't send normal keypressed/released events, so you
can't easily map it to ctrl. There's a kernel patch to catch the weird
events it sends, and emulate a normal keypress/release, but it's not
perfect and gets confused on occasion.

--
Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey