[linux-elitists] right MTA for crypto support

Shawn McMahon smcmahon@eiv.com
Tue Aug 27 05:52:30 PDT 2002

One Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:53:08AM +0200, Eugen Leitl said:

> I'm getting rather pissed at diverse wiretap legislations making the
> global rounds (lately EU is making noises towards storing a one year deep
> FIFO of all email and browsing traffic for all users), and would like to
> run my own MTA, with MX fallback to ISPs. I would like to have secure
> MUA-MTA (IMAP/SSL POP/SSL and MTA-MTA (if the other end supports it).

Here is why you won't like the results of running your own MTA to talk
directly to other peoples MTAs:

http://openrbl.org/ip/217/80/40/9.htm

An awful lot of your mail will bounce.

If you want to do this and not have your mail bounce, you'll need to
either get your ISP to do it (good luck), or get a static IP that's not
in somebodys dialup range.

--
Shawn McMahon            | Now is the time we should be celebrating
AIM work: spmcmahonfedex | the Constitution and the rule of law,